A day in the life of a Disneyland manager who's worked there for 23 years, walks 5 miles daily around the park, and has a 'long-distance' marriage with his wife
Courtesy of Gary Maggetti
- Disney California Adventure Park West general manager Gary Maggetti has worked at the Disneyland Resort full-time for 23 years.
- Before he landed a full-time role, he did a stint as a Jungle Cruise skipper in college.
- Maggetti shared his typical daily routine - which features a morning pick-me-up of green tea and lots of walking - with Business Insider.
attractions with his twin brother Chris. Their family visited Disneyland every two years, starting when they were four.Advertisement
Then, Maggetti was a Northern Arizona University hotel and restaurant administration major applying for the Disney College Program. He landed a summer gig as a skipper on the Jungle Cruise, one of his favorite rides.
Finally, in 1995, he landed his first full-time role at the park. By that point, Maggetti knew that Disneyland was where he wanted to stay.In the 23 years since, Maggetti has held 13 different roles at the Walt Disney Company, including one that took him all the way to Japan. Today, he's a general manager representing the western part of Disney California Adventure Park. Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Park are the two theme parks that make up the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.
Maggetti said his story isn't "unique" at Disneyland."You go to a meeting and you look around the room and it's like: 'Oh my goodness, you were in my management training class in 1996,'" he told Business Insider. "This is not an unusual story because there are so many opportunities with Disney to have different experiences."Maggetti recently shared his daily schedule with Business Insider. His routine sheds light on both the culture at Disneyland, and the behind-the-scenes inner-workings of the park.Advertisement
Here's what a typical day at Disneyland looks like for Maggetti:
Maggetti wakes up early and typically passes on coffee
He meets up with his team mates and enjoys watching the park openAdvertisement
Up next, Maggetti learns about any cool opportunities for his cast members
As general manager, Maggetti has to wear a number of different hats — and shoesAdvertisement
Being a 'generalist leader' is important at Disneyland, according to Maggetti
Generally, Maggetti's daily schedule varies a lotAdvertisement
Maggetti stays mobile — and often walks up to five miles a day around the park
He has one major rule when it comes to supporting cast membersAdvertisement
Maggetti also takes time to help out guests
Maggetti's two favorite rides both have a nautical theme...Advertisement
...and one of his favorite spots in the park is 'off the beaten path'
Maggetti usually skips — or at least postpones — eating lunchAdvertisement
He doesn't plan too far ahead
On Fridays, Maggetti makes the trip to Northern CaliforniaAdvertisement
Most evenings, he'll play some ping pong with his sons
After dinner, he'll unwind by watching TV and doing some choresAdvertisement
Working at Disneyland has been a dream come true for Maggetti
- Best pop up camera smartphones in India for a distraction free viewing experience
- Bird poop worth $470 million is at risk — could hold the key to saving seabirds across the world
- COVID crashed profit and Pidilite couldn’t fix it— yet
- There are five companies making Favipiravir now — and it is good for supply and prices
- Best 5,000mAh battery smartphones