A death in the Atlantic Ocean, a media empire that once had $4 billion in debt, and a luxury yacht named the Lady Ghislaine: Take a look at Ghislaine Maxwell's family history
- Ghislaine Maxwell, the British socialite who has been accused of serving as Jeffrey Epstein's madam, is the daughter of the late media mogul Robert Maxwell.
- In 1991, Robert Maxwell was found dead in the Atlantic Ocean after falling off the luxury yacht he named after his daughter, INSIDER previously reported.
- Ghislaine's brothers, Ian and Kevin Maxwell, were tried with and ultimately acquitted of financial crimes related to their father's businesses in 1996, according to the New York Times.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Ghislaine Maxwell has become a topic of public scrutiny for her relationship with former financier and registered sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who was arrested on charges of sex trafficking in July. Epstein was found dead after an apparent suicide on August 10. At the time of his death, Epstein had been while awaiting trial in a New York jail.Maxwell, a British socialite, is alleged to have acted as Epstein's madam. Maxwell has denied these allegations.
But Maxwell's family has plenty of scandals of its own, dating back to the 1990s. Keep reading to learn more about the Maxwell family.If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or has had thoughts of harming themselves or taking their own life, get help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) provides 24/7, free, confidential support for people in distress, as well as best practices for professionals and resources to aid in prevention and crisis situations.
Robert Maxwell was the first mysterious businessman in Ghislaine Maxwell's life.
"Ghislaine's father Robert Maxwell was one of the darkest and most mysterious men to appear in British public life," the Daily Beast wrote.Advertisement
Robert Maxwell considered Rupert Murdoch his rival, according to the Daily Beast.
Various reports indicate that Robert Maxwell did not shy away from questionable business practices.Advertisement
In November 1991, Robert Maxwell was found dead in the Atlantic Ocean.
After an investigation, Robert Maxwell's death was deemed to have been the result of natural causes.Advertisement
After her husband's death, Ghislaine's mother, Elisabeth Maxwell, became a Holocaust expert.
Two of Ghislaine's brothers, Ian and Kevin Maxwell, were tried with financial crimes related to their father's businesses in 1996.Advertisement
The Maxwell siblings have been described as having kept low profiles in recent years.
Ghislaine Maxwell now stands accused of having helped former financier Jeffrey Epstein run a sex trafficking ring.Advertisement
- As Radio Mirchi rebrands to Mirchi, Prashant Panday walks us through the brand's transformation
- From a school dropout to building a spice empire and winning a Padma Bhushan, here’s MDH Masala’s Dharampal Gulati’s inspiring journey
- Air India's employees are looking for a private investor to back their bid for the national airline
- India reportedly invites UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson to be the chief guest for Republic Day
- RBI tells HDFC Bank to stop new digital launches and selling new credit cards after recent outages of online banking