A Facebook glitch has been causing messages from users' pasts to resurface - and people are calling it a 'cringe-fest'
- Facebook has been notifying some users of old messages they received months or even years ago.
- A glitch caused by software updates caused the messages to show up as if they were new, Facebook said in a statement.
- Facebook has caught flack in the past for dredging up old memories. It had to modify its "On This Day" feature quickly after launch to filter out unwanted memories from appearing at the top of users' feeds.
Some Facebook users are reliving long-forgotten memories thanks to an issue with the platform that has been notifying them of messages they received years ago.On Monday, users took to Twitter to express their confusion that they were being notified of old messages as if they were new ones, as well as to share some of the odd exchanges from their past.
Facebook has previously fielded criticism for resurfacing old posts via its "On This Day" feature. Fortunately, the feature went through a series of updates after its 2015 rollout that filtered out those memories users would rather not recall.
Was just on Facebook and old messages from people I haven't talked to in years were popping up like they were just sent to me- Max LaFave (@MaxLaFave) November 26, 2018
Old Facebook messages popping up from years ago. Temporary security scare turned cringefest.- Leslie Waghorn (@lawaghorn) November 26, 2018
Thank you @facebook for sending me notifications of messages sent over a year old. Many were from the day my partner, Dean, passed away & now I've spent my evening in fear of what else I'm going to see.- Adam (@adamadzp) November 26, 2018
- Former Paytm Money CEO launches his own financial services platform with an investment from Mirae, and several other major startup founders
- A candid Kavin Mittal admits his mistakes as he reinvents Hike and plans fresh fundraising this year
- CarbonWatch — India’s first mobile app to calculate your carbon footprint falls short of its promises
- Reddit recovers from a major outage as GameStop shares soar over 100%
- Nureca stocks debut on bourses at 59% premium over IPO price