A famous Monet painting just sold to a mysterious buyer for a record $110.7 million - more than 44 times what the seller paid for it
- A Claude Monet painting just sold for $110.7 million to an unidentified buyer at Sotheby's in New York, CNN reported.
- It's the most expensive Impressionist artwork ever sold at auction, according to Sotheby's.
- The 1890 painting is part of Monet's "Haystacks" series, which he painted at his home in Giverny, France.
- The seller paid $2.5 million for the painting in 1986.
A Claude Monet painting just sold for $110.7 million at a Sotheby's auction, according to CNN.The 1890 painting from Monet's "Haystacks" series broke the record for the most expensive Impressionist artwork ever sold at auction, according to Sotheby's.Advertisement
Read more: The 16 most expensive paintings ever soldMonet painted his "Haystacks" series at his home in Giverny, France, in the winter of 1890-1891.
The one sold Tuesday evening "distinguishes itself from others in the series by its vibrant paint palette, dramatic diagonal brushstrokes of varying directions that meet at the center and a unique perspective with only part of the first haystack appearing in the foreground," according to AFP.
- Three magistrates, cops go into quarantine after 3 remand prisoners test positive for COVID-19 in Kerala
- PTI tally of COVID-19 cases and deaths in India at 7pm
- TN COVID-19 cases breach 17K mark with 805 cases; 7 deaths pushes toll to 118
- 14 more test COVID-19 positive in UP's Gautam Buddh Nagar, total cases rise to 359
- City gas operators seek tax relief, loan restructuring to deal with lockdown impact