A former portfolio manager at Steve Cohen's Point72 is setting out to launch a $50 million crypto hedge fund
- Travis Kling, a former portfolio manager at Steve Cohen's Point72 hedge fund, is starting his own cryptocurrency venture, a person familiar with the matter told Business Insider.
- Kling, who left Point72 in December, "fell down the crypto rabbit hole," his LinkedIn profile says.
- He is launching a $25 million fund this summer with the hope of raising another $25 million by year end.
Count Travis Kling as the latest Wall Streeter to turn to the world of crypto for their next venture.
Kling, a former portfolio manager at Steve Cohen's Point72 hedge fund, has left the firm to start a cryptocurrency hedge fund, a person familiar with the matter told Business Insider. Kling is aiming to raise $25 million for the fund, which will apply traditional hedge fund investment strategies to the cryptocurrency market.
The market for digital coins, which took off in 2017, has fueled the creation of more than 220 hedge funds, according to data analytics provider Autonomous NEXT. Very few, however, have been founded by folks from the asset management world. And most only manage a couple million dollars.
The market for crypto hedge funds has been under pressure as the underlying digital coin market continues to shed billions. At least nine crypto funds have shut their doors this year, Bloomberg reported.
"New capital has slowed, even for a higher-profile fund like ours," Kyle Samani, cofounder of Multicoin Capital, a crypto fund that manages $50 million, told Bloomberg.
Still, Kling has already locked down seed investments for his fund and is actively pitching more investors. It is set to go live this summer.
Kling and his two partners expect the fund to manage $50 million by year's end, a personal familiar with the matter told Business Insider. The firm is a bidirectional, multistrat-focused fund. They plan on making a public announcement about the fund in the coming weeks.
Kling, who worked at Steve Cohen's Point72 from 2015 to 2017, joined the firm from Magnetar Capital.
Get the latest Bitcoin price here.>>
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Personal trainer Kelsey Wells' protein-packed go-to smoothie is a 'meal in a cup' that tastes like cookie batter
- Apollo Micro Systems board approves Rs 200-cr fund raising plan
- ChatGPT, electronic devices used to cheat in TSPSC exams
- From Maruti Jimny to Mercedes-AMG SL55 Roadster – Cars launching in India in June
- Secure your future: The importance of retirement planning in India
- WhatsApp rolls out 'status archive' feature for businesses on Android