A hugely popular but largely ignored global cuisine is now worth $20 billion in America
Sales of food prepared according to Islamic law are expected to hit $20 billion this year, from restaurants to supermarkets, reports Bloomberg. That figure, from the Islamic Food and Nutrition Council of America, is up 33% since 2010.
Where's the growth coming from? According to Bloomberg, it is due to both the quickly growing US Muslim population and younger customers eager to try new types of food.
Whole Foods ranks halal as one of its fastest-growing categories, and has been running Ramadan promotions since 2011. According to Adnan Durrani, CEO of Whole Foods' supplier American Halal Co., about 80% of customers who buy his Saffron Road brand buy it for the food's quality, not religious reasons.
Halal food is also catching on in the restaurant space. In the last few years, the Halal Guys have gone from a New York City street cart serving gyros and other meaty dishes to a franchise with 200 units in development worldwide.
If the halal trend continues to grow, it has the potential the next "kosher" - a designation that indicates better treatment of animals, as well as special preparations related to a specific religion.
Thanks to the rising Muslim population, with projected figures indicating there will be 8.1 million Muslims in the US by 2050, and an increasing demand for ethically-produced food, halal food seems likely to only get hotter. In other words, if you haven't tried halal food yet, you probably will in coming years.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons