A Lyft driver was killed on his 52nd wedding anniversary
- A Lyft driver was killed in Phoenix on Sunday, his 52nd anniversary.
- The company said he was not giving a ride at the time, nor was he on his way to pick up a passenger.
- Police are looking for community input to help find who is responsible.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A Lyft driver was killed in Phoenix, Arizona, on Sunday, his 52nd anniversary.
71-year-old Harold Treadwell was shot near 32nd and Thunderbird streets early Sunday morning, around 12:30 a.m., according to a GoFundMe set up on his family's behalf.
A Lyft spokesperson confirmed the incident, and noted that Treadwell was not driving a passenger at the time and was not on his way to pick up any passengers either.
"We are deeply saddened and shocked by this loss," the company said in a statement. "Our sympathies go out to the loved ones of Harold Treadwell and all those impacted by this tragedy. We are actively assisting law enforcement and will continue helping in any way we can."
As of Wednesday afternoon, the GoFundMe had racked up nearly $5,000 in donations.
"Today is our 52nd Wedding Anniversary and we spoke right before he was killed and wished each other a HAPPY ANNIVERSARY (thank you God for allowing me to have that last conversation with him so I could tell him that I loved him!)," Treadwell's wife said on Facebook, according to the fundraiser page.
"I pray that he did NOT suffer with any pain. I know that he is with God and his parents now in heaven. He was such a good, kind, giving and loving man!!!"
In a statement to ABC News, Phoenix police said there were not yet any suspects in the shooting as of Tuesday.
"Right now, we're not having any indication that he was maybe a target," a police spokesperson said. "We're really heavily depending on the community's assistance. ... This is one of those crimes, it just touches everybody. You know, ride-sharing, we all use it so it's a very sensitive topic."
- A massive study from Israel suggests older adults were far less likely to develop severe COVID-19 after a booster shot, but the finding carries major limitations
- Everything you need to know about iOS 15: Release date, new features, supported devices
- Watch SpaceX launch 4 space tourists into Earth's orbit
- Wealth management firm White Oak Capital gets SEBI’s nod to enter mutual fund business
- IPO-bound Pine Labs raises another $100 million
- Virat Kohli to step down as India’s T20 captain, says he had ‘immense workload’ over the years
- India's bad bank gets government nod — green lights NARCL with ₹30,600 crore guarantee
- Byju’s acquires yet another coding-for-kids startup, this time an American one