A massive coconut water brand is threatening to send urine to a critic on Twitter who said he'd rather drink 'piss than coconut water'
- Coconut-water brand Vita Coco is threatening to send its social-media manager's urine to a Twitter critic.
- "I would rather drink your social media persons piss than coconut water," writer Tony Posnanski tweeted at Vita Coco.
- Vita Coco responded with an image of a young woman in a bathroom, holding a jug of what appears to be urine. The photo is accompanied by one word: "Address?"
- Posnanski told Business Insider that he gave Vita Coco the White House address as the destination for the jug of urine.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Vita Coco is taking brand Twitter feuds to a new level.
Writer Tony Posnanski likely did not expect much of a response on Wednesday when he tweeted that Vita Coco's product "is nasty like all coconut water."At first, Vita Coco played nice, offering to send Posnanski some coconut water.
"F--- that. Save that nasty s--- for someone else. I would rather drink your social media persons piss than coconut water," Posnanski responded.
Vita Coco responded on Twitter with an image of a young woman in a bathroom, holding a Vita Coco-branded jug full of what appears to be urine. The photo is accompanied by one word: "Address?"
The exchange quickly went viral, as Posnanski and others marveled at the state of Twitter in 2019. In its first hour, the tweet was liked more than 3,000 times.
When asked for comment via direct message by Business Insider, Posnanski said: "Please add that coconut water is the Miracle Whip of beverages. And that I got owned. Hard."Posnanski said he gave Vita Coco the White House's address as the destination for the jug of urine.
Vita Coco, for its part, now has a new profile picture.
Vita Coco is one of the biggest players in the growing coconut-water industry, raising $17.8 million in funding since it was founded in 2005. The company did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
This may be part of Vita Coco's ad campaign centered on negative reviews. AdAge reports that the company recently launched a campaign featuring people who regularly leave negative reviews of other brands, showing them giving understated endorsements of Vita Coco. The campaign's tagline is "Impossible to Hate."
I GOT OWNED BY COCONUT WATER TODAY IS THE WORST DAY EVER!- Tony Posnanski (@tonyposnanski) May 15, 2019
wendys: savage clapback- #1 samir (@samir) May 15, 2019
vitacoco: hold my pee
Incredible level of commitment from a brand https://t.co/5uRPT8Z1Ol- southpaw (@nycsouthpaw) May 15, 2019