A massive company most people have never heard of owns some of the most famous coffee and cafe chains in the world, including Panera Bread, Krispy Kreme, and Pret a Manger
- JAB Holding owns some of the most famous chains in the world, including Krispy Kreme, Panera, and Peet's Coffee.
- The company is owned by the secretive German Reimann family, which has a net worth of at least $19 billion.
- Here is the breakdown of all the chains that JAB Holding owns.
Krispy Kreme, Panera, Pret a Manger, and Peet's Coffee are some of the most beloved chains in America.However, not everyone realizes that these chains are all owned by the same company. Advertisement
JAB Holding is the investment arm of the secretive Reimann family. JAB owns chains including Krispy Kreme, Panera, Caribou Coffee, Au Bon Pain, and Pret A Manger, as well as Keurig Dr. Pepper and bottled-water brand Core.
Here's a breakdown of all the chains owned by JAB:
The family behind the massive holding company has been in the news recently because Bild, Germany's largest newspaper, reported that it had uncovered documents that revealed Albert Reimann Sr. and Albert Reimann Jr. were supporters of the Nazi party and that during World War II they used Russian civilians and French prisoners of war as forced laborers.
Yutong Yuan/Business Insider
JAB acquired Peet's Coffee and Tea in 2012.
It then did a deal for Caribou Coffee.Advertisement
Next up was D.E Master Blenders 1753.
Then it struck a big deal in 2014 to create Jacobs Douwe Egberts, which owns brands including Kenco, Tassimo, Senseo, and Moccona.Advertisement
JAB Holding bought Einstein Bros.' parent company in 2014.
It also acquired the leading Nordic coffee retailer.Advertisement
JAB-owned Peet's Coffee and Tea has gone on a buying spree.
JAB's acquisitions aren't restricted to chains.Advertisement
In 2015, news broke that JAB was planning to acquire Keurig.
In 2018, Keurig merged with Dr Pepper Snapple Group.Advertisement
JAB added Krispy Kreme to the mix in 2016.
Panera was a big-name purchase.Advertisement
Panera then acquired its sandwich rival Au Bon Pain.
In May 2018, JAB agreed to a deal to buy Pret A Manger.Advertisement
Insomnia Cookies joined the JAB empire thanks to a deal with Krispy Kreme.
Core is one of the latest beverage brands to come under JAB's control.Advertisement
- Strict implementation of lockdown in Kashmir as COVID-19 cases surge
- IIT Kharagpur researchers train farmers in micro-irrigation techniques
- 38 fresh coronavirus cases detected in Muzaffarnagar
- TN reports 4,244 COVID-19 cases, 69 fatalities
- Abhishek confirms Aishwarya, Aaradhya's COVID-19 diagnosis, says they will quarantine at home