A protester rushed the stage and ripped the mic out of Kamala Harris' hand at a San Francisco forum
- An animal-rights protester rushed the stage to grab the microphone from Sen. Kamala Harris at a San Francisco event on Saturday.
- The incident happened at MoveOn's "Big Ideas Forum," and the man shouted that he had a "much bigger idea."
- Security guards and Harris' husband immediately leapt onto the stage and dragged the man off.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A man rushed the stage and ripped a microphone out of Sen. Kamala Harris' hand at a San Francisco presidential forum on Saturday, interrupting the Democratic presidential candidate to tell the audience he had a "much bigger idea.""I'm asking your attention to a much bigger idea," he said, before the hosts interrupted him and security guards pulled him off the stage and Harris briefly walked away. She later returned to the stage as the audience applauded.Advertisement
Harris' husband, Douglas Emhoff, could also be seen in videos of the incident jumping onto the stage to pull the man away from Harris."Thank you so much, sir, for your big idea," one of the moderators said as the man was escorted out. "But we want to make sure that we are able to get through this."
Emhoff later tweeted about the incident, thanking supporters for their "kind notes."Advertisement
The incident happened at MoveOn's "Big Ideas Forum" while Harris was discussing the gender pay gap.The man was later identified by news outlets as a member of the animal-rights group, Direct Action Everywhere.Advertisement
A press release from the organization said the man interrupted Harris to call on her to "support ordinary citizens rescuing animals rather than the factory farms that abuse animals, sicken local populations and repress whistleblowing activity."
- Read more:
- Fox News supported Laura Ingraham after she defended a prominent white supremacist
- The Mueller Report will be read in its entirety over 24 hours in New York this weekend in an event organized by local theater groups
- Mueller says he won't make any more public statements on the Russia probe, but his own words bolster the case for Democrats to have him testify before Congress
At the #BigIdeas @MoveOn festival moments ago - @KamalaHarris was on stage answering questions when a man jumped on stage and grabbed her microphone.- Face The Nation (@FaceTheNation) June 1, 2019
The senator came back out on stage to finish her speech about #EqualPay. pic.twitter.com/TtHLYSDUta