A report says it found routine routine abuse of overtime rules at one of Apple's suppliers in China
The CLW report says many workers at Pegatron, which is based in China, are working more hours than Apple allows.
Apple's policy says supply chain workers can't work more than 60 hours per week and should have at least one day per week off. CLW found several instances where workers clocked more than 80 hours of work per week and some cases where interns were able to get overtime pay even though they aren't allowed to.
According to CLW, Pegatron workers feel forced to go for overtime because base wages are low and they need the overtime pay to get by.
CLW says it interviewed approximately 100 Pegatron workers in 2015 and 2016 for the report and reviewed their pay stubs.
In April, Bloomberg reporter Shai Oster visited Pegatron and wrote that the factory now institutes ID checks to make sure workers don't take too much overtime. CLW's report claims Oster's visit was carefully crafted and didn't allow access to areas where workers abused the overtime system.
Apple and Pegatron did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
You can read the full CLW report here.
- No crypto ban in India — SEBI will reportedly be pulled in to regulate the sector
- I tried a calendar that's meant to boost productivity by mapping out the number of weeks you have left to live — here's how it went
- I wore the same outfit for a week, as part of a productivity hack promoted by Steve Jobs — but it didn't really work. After speaking to psychologists, I'm not surprised.
- Dell Latitude 7320 Review — A good-looking compact convertible let down by the keyboard
- SaaS firm RateGain’s IPO opens tomorrow — should you invest?
- Global digital advertising accounted for 64.4% of all advertising in 2021, up from 60.5% in 2020: GroupM report
- After Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Maruti Suzuki, now Tata Motors increases price of its vehicles from January
- 44 key areas, a national framework, and a multi-institutional approach — Here's what you need to know about India's new National Blockchain Strategy