A Step Toward Digital India: 10 Crore Aadhaars Linked To Bank Accounts
In what is being regarded as a major milestone in
If the person moves to another part of India, they can access these subsidies as the facility is portable across any bank in the country. Till date, 333 banks are live on this platform.
In order to link Aadhaar number to the bank account, one needs to provide a copy of their Aadhaar letter or their e-Aadhaar to the bank branch in which he/she holds the account. Once the account is seeded, it can be used by central government departments to transfer subsidies directly into this bank account.
And just by dialling *99*99# on their mobile phones, residents can check status of the Aadhaar-Bank account linkage. To avail this facility, which is provided by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), you need to pay Rs 1.50 per enquiry.
The Aadhaar identity platform is the largest biometric database in the world and serves users ranging from LPG consumers, MNREGA workers, PDS, remittance and scholarship beneficiaries, etc. – all using their Aadhaar number to avail benefits.
Till December 9, 2014, nearly eight crore transactions have been carried out through the Aadhaar Payment Bridge for various welfare programs of the BJP government, which amounted to Rs 5,151.51crore.
On Dec 12, 2014, issuance of Aadhaars crossed the Rs 72 crore-mark across the country.
(Image: The Economic Times)
- Paytm plans to distribute over 2 lakh of its new portable POS devices over the next few months
- India records 62,064 new corona cases, record over 1,000 deaths
- How to check Tamil Nadu SSLC class 10 exam result?
- India allows overseas citizens to return via international flights - Here’s all you need to know
- Best monitors for a seamless work and entertainment experience at home