A top Microsoft exec is taking a year off to sail the world with his family
"We've coveted the opportunity to spend a lot of time with each other and our kids-and we're taking advantage of it while we can," Belifore writes.
Starting in November, his kids will be enrolling in Semester At Sea, an educational cruise program which he describes as a "floating college campus," run by the University of Virginia.
The boat carries 600 students, plus some faculties, and families like Belfiore's.
He describes it as the fulfillment of a lifelong dream: Semester at Sea goes all over the world, with stops at cities every continent except Antarctica.
Belfiore promises that he'll be back in the United States in time to get his kids back into their public school routine, at which point his oldest child will be entering 7th grade. At that point, Belfiore says he'll be re-taking the helm of Windows.
As far as timing goes, Belfiore's decision is raising some eyebrows among the Windows faithful: As noted by ZDNet, his departure lines up with the November launch of Windows 10 Mobile, the version of the operating system for Microsoft's phones, which is one of his main areas of responsibility. This means that a top Windows Phone executive won't be around for the launch of Windows 10 Mobile. It's not a great confidence-booster for Microsoft's mobile strategy, which is already under siege.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Taj Mahal will be open for night viewing during 'Sharad Purnima' for four nights
- Rupee falls 4 paise to 81.66 against US dollar in early trade
- Sensex is up 334 points, Nifty by 91 points tracking gains from Asian markets
- Big emitters not acknowledging climate risks: Carbon Tracker
- Fresh threats to Mukesh Ambani and family, Reliance Foundation hospital
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World