A top Republican senator just defied Trump and says he supports the release of the Mueller report
- Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley on Thursday said he supports the release of the Mueller report.
- Trump initially seemed open to having the report released, but now opposes making it public.
- Grassley is the President pro tempore of the Senate, making him the second highest-ranking official in the chamber and third in line to succeed to the presidency.
Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley and President Donald Trump are at odds this week.Grassley, a veteran GOP senator with significant influence in Congress, on Thursday went against Trump in a big way and said he supports the release of special counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russian election interference. Advertisement
hird in line to succeed to the presidency after the vice president and House Speaker. He's also a senator from Iowa, the site of the first major presidential nominating contest.
The Republican senator's comments on the Mueller report come a day after he referred to Trump as "idiotic" for suggesting wind turbines cause cancer.Advertisement
Initially, Trump appeared to support making the report public. "Let it come out. Let people see it - that's up to the attorney general," the president said in late March.House passes resolution ending US support for Saudi Arabia in the Yemen war, setting up just the second veto of Trump's presidencyAdvertisement
Barr's summary said Mueller did not find evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, adding that the special counsel did not conclude Trump committed obstruction of justice but also did not fully exonerate the president, either.
Polls have repeatedly shown that a majority of Americans would like to see the Mueller report released.
Trump: demands for release of the full Mueller report are a "disgrace" pic.twitter.com/dxkC6XL26L- Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) April 2, 2019
- Bank mitra robbed of cash worth Rs 3.5 lakh in Mathura
- Doctor tests positive for coronavirus in Odisha's Cuttack
- Bihar COVID toll reaches 15 as 2 migrants die; tally 2,968 with 231 fresh cases
- Fed up with living in containment zones, mob attacks police
- C'garh govt declares 95 areas as containment zones