A US Coast Guard Ship Fired A Warning Shot At A Provocative Iranian Boat
The Coast Guard cutter Monomoy sent a small, inflatable boat to approach the Iranian dhow and when it got close, the Americans spotted two 50-caliber machine gun, with one of the guns aimed at them, US military officers said."They saw that one of the machine guns was manned and trained on them," Lieutenant Joseph Hontz, a spokesman for the US Fifth Fleet, told AFP.
"In any event, the dhow pulled away and nobody was hurt," Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby told reporters.He said the Coast Guard vessel was on a "routine maritime security operation."
The brief incident took place in the Gulf at 11:30 am (0830 GMT).The United States and Iran are arch-foes and American naval ships and Iranian vessels over the past decade have had occasional tense confrontations in the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf. Washington accused Iran of sending speedboats in close to harass American naval ships in 2007 and 2008.
- India surpasses 2 lakh mark in daily COVID-19 cases with 1038 new fatalities
- Macrotech Developers IPO — check share allotment date, listing date and more
- Throwback to some of the best IPL ads made over the years
- Infosys, Wipro, HDFC Bank and other stocks to watch out for on April 15
- India's largest opposition party blames national media for its lack of influence — but its new YouTube channel may only be targeting the Hindi belt