Exclusive: Abhijeet Kumar, Co-founder, ah! Ventures believes that exits for start-up investors is paramount
Kumar started working with Deloitte straight after graduation but felt that the work wasn’t challenging enough for him which is why he considered entrepreneurship before a start-up ecosystem had evolved in the country.
From two to thousands
ah! Ventures started in 2009 with the intention of investing in early stage start-ups in the founders’ personal capacity. In 2012, Abhijeet and his friend,
“At the time when we started, there wasn’t any concept of angel investing. Both of us had our own businesses but we wanted to explore the untapped start-up investing in the country. At that time, there was no entrepreneur-friendly network and we ended up investing in around 31 start-ups by just meeting tons of entrepreneurs and depending on word-of-mouth,” says Abhijeet who has been angel investing since 2009 and is a serial first-generation entrepreneur.
Exits over number of investments
ah! Ventures consists of a network of about 1500 angel investors who are connected with start-ups that are identified by the team as potential investment opportunity. The network invests upto a $1 million in a round and is sector-agnostic with facilitating $20 million worth of funds till date.
The difference between ah! Ventures and the other networks is that the process is always entrepreneur-led. “The system is completely automated by us as we only connect the two parties and they manage the deals themselves. We don’t charge any money from investors for the deal and the on-boarding process for investors is only by referral,” Abhijeet likes the entrepreneur-led process because it helps them make a term-sheet to their liking.
The on-boarding process for start-ups is simple; if the start-up is from a popular sector, it need not be at a very nascent stage but for disruptive sectors, entrepreneurs can apply at very early stage.
Popular on BI
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- Bahamas, Taiwan, Malta & more: Here are 10 countries offering digital nomad visa
- Maruti Suzuki cars will get costlier from January 2023
- Paytm’s optimistic growth projections boost sentiments, shares climb nearly 8%
- India stands like oasis in era of uncertainty amid global inflation, says SBI Research
- Personal loans fintech platform KreditBee raises $80 million in Series-D investment round
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World