Mobile App TrendsReport 2021 shows significant gains in app installs and sessions in gaming, e-commerce and fintech
- The report is based on top 2,000 apps.
The report — based on
"The app economy experienced immense growth in 2020, as people all over the world realized the benefits of mobile in many aspects of their daily lives," said Paul H. Müller, Co-founder and CEO, Adjust. “For mobile marketers, the potential to reach new users is at an all-time high, but so is competition. As we move through 2021, and begin a new era with iOS 14, the importance of enhancing marketing through automation and understanding how users behave in-app throughout their entire journey is more pivotal than ever."
Additional key takeaways from the report include:
Fintech apps posted the best YoY growth in installs of all verticals — 51% — in 2020.
- Installs are up again in 2021, by 12%, compared to the 2020 average. This is no doubt buoyed by huge adoption rates for trading apps such as Robinhood, Acorns and Gatsby.
- Fintech app sessions also boomed in 2020 — representing a significant move toward digital banking and payments. Sessions increased 85% YoY, and are already up 35% in 2021.
- Sessions for non-hyper casual games increased by 27% in 2020 YoY, while hyper casual sessions increased 36%.
- So far in 2021, hyper casual game sessions are down 21%, but with the huge “first-lockdown” spike removed, YoY performance is roughly the same — and growing steadily, with February outperforming January by 47%.
- Sessions, however, grew 44% — showing just how highly engaged shoppers on mobile have become.
- 2021 is off to a very strong start in both installs and sessions — up 11% and 14%, respectively — over their 2020 averages.
- The vertical’s highest weeks ever for sessions were at the end of February and beginning of March 2021 — up 23% YoY.