- It’s Instagram’s birthday today.
- The platform has launched a few new features to celebrate its 10th anniversary.
From the beginning in 2010, Instagram has been synonymous with culture. Who can forget Indian public figures taking the #ALSIceBucketChallenge, Instawalks and Instameets organized by different States and groups, Sabyasachi Mukherjee showcasing his collections first on Instagram, Neena Gupta asking for work, Priya Prakash Varrier’s wink, MS Dhoni announcing his retirement, to the embrace of traditions like sarees, yoga, urdu poetry and vintage jewelry, and starting new ones like the fidget spinner, ASMR videos and memes; who can now forget Yashraj Mukhate’s ‘Rasode Main Kaun tha’ meme!
Along the way, there have also been people rallying for support and connection, for important conversations such as #MeToo, #ShareWithPride, #ChallengeAccepted, the red dot challenge, #KindComments, #366daysofkindness and #CounterSpeechYlac.
Adam Mosseri, Head of Instagram, in a company blog, shares his thoughts on Instagram’s birthday, “We’re dropping some new features that we hope you’ll enjoy, but we also want to say a big thank-you to everyone who uses Instagram around the world. I’m proud of where we are today, but I’m thinking a lot about where we’re going.”
He added, “Right now, we’re witnessing enormous shifts in how people create and enjoy culture. To keep pace with what’s next, we have to adapt, too. Over the coming months, you’ll see some major changes from us, like tabs for Reels and shopping, and some big improvements to messaging. We’ll look to accelerate ways for creators to make a living and for small businesses to sell their products. Through all these changes, our community will remain the heart of Instagram, and we’ll stay focused on keeping people safe and building new features that fight bullying, improve equity, address fairness, and help people feel supported.”
The new features launching today include:
- Stories Map: A private map and calendar of the stories you’ve shared in the last three years, so you can look back and remember all your favorite moments. You’ll be able to share, download, and save these stories to your highlights.
- Hiding Potentially Offensive Comments: We’ve started testing a new feature that automatically hides comments similar to others that have been reported. You can tap “View Hidden Comments” to see the comments. Comments that violate our Community Guidelines will continue to be removed.
- Expanding Nudge Warnings: We’re expanding our nudge warnings to include an additional warning when people repeatedly attempt to post comments that might be offensive. These new warnings let people take a moment to step back and reflect on their words and lay out the potential consequences should they proceed.