- After Zomato’s Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif ads drew mixed reactions on social media, it has now released a statement clarifying that the campaign was conceptualised 6 months ago.
- The ads were called tone-deaf and Twitterati said that Zomato hired celebrities to divert the conversation around gig workers payouts and working conditions.
- Zomato also said that it will soon upload a blog explaining how its delivery partners are fairly compensated for the work/time they put in.
Sait’s video drew flak from netizens for not depicting the realities of the profession, where he took on the roles of a Zomato delivery boy for a day in a bid to humanise the delivery personnel.
However, Zomato has now released a statement on Twitter clarifying that the campaign featuring Katrina Kaif and Hrithik Roshan was conceptualised six months ago, ‘long before any social media chatter around gig worker payouts and working conditions.’
The other side of the story... https://t.co/hNRj6TpK1X— zomato (@zomato) 1630325343000
The campaign, however, was called ‘tone-deaf’ and some netizens said that Zomato hired celebrities to divert the conversation around gig worker payouts and working conditions.
Instead of paying celebrities big money for ads to whitewash their horrible treatment of delivery staff, Zomato can… https://t.co/DLJl3l5bH2— Sankul Sonawane (@Sankul333) 1630050634000
I don't want my groceries delivered in 10 or 20 minutes. I would rather that the delivery person takes his time to… https://t.co/8iMDt22DiK— Pooja Prasanna (@PoojaPrasanna4) 1630099304000
This ad is such a self own. Zomato essentially boasting of how their drivers are under pressure to deliver, rain or… https://t.co/mrXEbC3n2o— peeleraja (@peeleraja) 1630048563000
According to Zomato’s statement, here is what the foodtech platform intended to achieve through its campaign:
- Make delivery partners the hero of the ad
- Highlight that we should talk respectfully to delivery partners (like Hrithik and Katrina do in the ad, and very few other people do)
- Raise the level of dignity associated with a delivery’s partner’s job
- Demonstrate with pride which most of our delivery partners serve our customers with
- Last but not least, reiterate that every customer is a star for us and no less than Hrithik or Katrina