Alibaba cofounder Jack Ma - the richest man in China - once starred in a kung fu movie his company produced. Here are 6 of his most extravagant moments.
Courtesy of Alibaba
- Recently retired Alibaba chairman Jack Ma is "the most flamboyant tech founder on the planet," Business Insider's Sinead Baker recently wrote.
- Under his leadership, Alibaba grew from a 17-person company operating out of Ma's apartment to a $460 billion empire.
- But it wasn't just business for Ma. In his 20 years at the helm of Alibaba, Ma - the richest person in China - also starred in a kung fu film and officiated an annual mass employee wedding.
- Ma's successor, meanwhile, Alibaba CEO Daniel Zhang, is "slight and soft-spoken," according to Bloomberg.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Jack Ma is "the most flamboyant tech founder on the planet," Business Insider's Sinead Baker recently wrote.
To celebrate the end of his 20 years leading the online marketplace, Ma celebrated his retirement with a 60,000-person retirement party in an Olympic-sized stadium.
The days of seeing one of Alibaba's top executives act in a film and officiate weddings may be over, however. Ma's successor, Alibaba CEO Daniel Zhang, keeps such a low profile that an employee's parent once mistook him for a janitor in Alibaba's headquarters, according to Bloomberg.
Keep reading to learn more about the most extravagant moments of Jack Ma's time at Alibaba.
Get the latest Alibaba stock price here.
Every year, Ma officiates a mass wedding for Alibaba employees in May.
At Alibaba's 2017 annual party, Ma put on a performance while dressed as Micheal Jackson.
He also took to the stage at a music festival in October 2017, where he and Chinese singer Li Jian performed for the audience.
Alibaba produced a kung fu movie in 2017 — and Ma starred in it.
And then, of course, there was Alibaba's 60,000-person party in September 2019, which simultaneously celebrated Alibaba's 20-year anniversary and Jack Ma's retirement.
After the party, Ma gifted each Alibaba employee a bottle of chardonnay featuring a hologram of himself.
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Chinese smartphone brands under scrutiny, government to check components, pre-installed apps: Report
- Best AMD desktop processors — which one to buy in India?
- Best AMD Ryzen laptops in India
- Best TVs with HDR support in India
- Bored Ape NFT sells for $2.7 million, making it the most expensive in Yacht Club collection
- Startup salaries have increased over 40% in the last six months