Angrez turns Desi: Amazon expands Alexa voice service to include Hindi
- Amazon’s Alexa Skills Kits to include Hindi as a language option.
- Addition of a regional language enables Alexa to compete with Google Assistant.
- With smart speaker market in India growing strong, Hindi could further presence in India.
AdvertisementAmazon is now enabling developers to incorporate Hindi-language skills into Alexa.
The Alexa Skills Kit (ASK) will now include Hindi, enabling developers to start building Hindi-language skills for Alexa voice service. This new update to Alexa Skills Kit is targetted to Alexa compete better with Google Assistant which has had Hindi support since 2018.
According to a report in Financial Express Tech, Amazon had asked developers to start working on building
Manufacturers developing hardware with Alexa integration can request early access to Alexa voice service developer preview and developers who already have Alexa skills can enable Hindi in the Alexa developer console.
To encourage developers to integrate Hindi in their Alexa skills, Amazon has announced that developers who have their Hindi-language skills certified for publication in India before July 31 will receive exclusive Early Bird Alexa merchandise.
The case for a desi Alexa
Data released by IDC posit that the smart speaker market in India is booming, and Amazon’s Alexa speakers leading that race. The Echo Dot speaker – Amazon’s most affordable speaker in the Alexa line-up, is leading the way with four units out of ten smart speakers being an Echo Dot (second and third gen).
Overall, Amazon’s Alexa speakers account for 59% of the smart speakers sold in India. With Hindi skills being integrated, Alexa speakers should see a further boost in sales.
Another report in Financial Express Tech, states that companies like Dish TV, boAt, Sony and Mybox have agreed to launch Alexa-enabled devices with Hindi integration.
AdvertisementYou can find more details about the updated developer tools here.
- Health experts in France warn about a second lockdown as cases surge in the country
- Coronavirus cases in India drops to less than 40,000 after three months says government data
- Top stock movers — Kotak Mahindra Bank, Future Retail, RIL, Angel Broking, DHFL, Finolex Industries, and others
- NEET counselling 2020 registrations begin today: Here’s all you need to know
- EXCLUSIVE: HCL Tech is expanding operations in Canada as H-1B visa issues persist