Amazon Echo and Google Home may soon be able to make voice calls
Citing "people familiar with the matter," the report says that both Amazon and Google are looking to activate the feature, but that their attempts have been slowed by privacy and regulatory concerns.Amazon has reportedly been working on Echo-specific voice calls since 2015, but has been held up by "employee turnover" as well. Amazon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.Advertisement
Google declined to comment on the matter, only saying that it "continue[s] developing new experiences for Google Home."
How exactly this feature would work on either device is unclear. The report suggests that the smart speakers would "most likely" use voice over internet protocol (VoIP) tech, which lets you make calls over the internet. This is what apps like Skype do today. Amazon launched its own Skype competitor called Chime on Tuesday.
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
In any case, Amazon would be entering the market with less experience in phone tech than Google, which has operated its Google Voice service since 2009. Google Voice currently gives users a phone number that can be used for forwarding calls and making VoIP calls; it was recently updated by Google in late January. Google also runs a wireless service called Project Fi, which provides mobile data by piggybacking off Sprint and T-Mobile's network.Integrating voice-call support would make sense for speakers that, particularly in the Echo's case, are growing increasingly popular and intelligent. But it would likely further the ongoing privacy concerns that exist with such devices, especially since both speakers have the ability to record conversations. One of the WSJ's sources says that Amazon wouldn't record the content of conversations, but that it would collect the length of those conversations and what numbers are dialed.All of that, plus the myriad of regulatory hurdles associated with creating new telephone features, means Google and Amazon are likely far from getting speaker-specific voice calls up and running in the near-term. But if they do make it work, voice calling could turn the Echo and Home into modern-day landline phones.Advertisement
- Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and others see sales plunge by 80% in May with exports taking a massive hit during the lockdown
- GSEB result 2020: Gujarat board expected to declare class 10th and class 12th Arts and Commerce result in first week of June, says chairman
- Ahmedabad creates micro containment zones with new lockdown guidelines as Unlock 1 comes into effect
- China is a ‘bully’ says US Representative on India-China border issue
- Ebola makes a comeback in the Republic of Congo — which is already fighting the coronavirus and the world's largest outbreak of measles