Amazon just opened its biggest campus to date in Hyderabad, India - take a look inside
- Amazon has opened its largest campus yet. Located in the financial district of Hyderabad, India, the 9.5-acre campus can accommodate more than 15,000 employees.
- Hyderabad is home to various American tech giants, including Google and Microsoft.
- The campus features interfaith prayer rooms, mothers' room, showers, quiet rooms, and a helipad.
- Amazon India Country Head Amit Agarwal calls the campus "a tangible commitment to that long-term thinking and our plans for India."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Amazon has opened its biggest campus to date, and it's in the financial district of Hyderabad, India.Hyderabad is home to various American tech giants, including Google and Microsoft. Amazon's Hyderabad campus opened on Wednesday, and it's the first office building outside of the US that Amazon owns. The 9.5-acre campus took three years to build and can fit more than 15,000 employees.Advertisement
Amazon called the campus "a continuing reaffirmation of how India continues to be a key market as well as talent hub for Amazon" in its press release.
Bloomberg reports that both Amazon and Walmart are making moves in India, which it calls "the last major retail frontier still primarily reliant on small-scale neighborhood and mom-and-pop stores." Amit Agarwal, Amazon India's country head, says that ecommerce constitutes just 3% of India's total consumption.Check out Amazon's new Hyderabad campus:
Welcome to Amazon's Hyderabad, India, campus.
An armed police officer stood at the entrance of Amazon's new campus on its opening day.Advertisement
The campus is built on 9.5 acres of land; but spread out, the actual space of the campus is 68 acres.
Amazon began operating out of Hyderabad, in the state of Telangana, in 2004. This campus is one of six Telangana offices housing one-third of Amazon's India workforce.Advertisement
Amazon's employee base in India is 62,000 employees, making it Amazon's second-biggest tech base after Seattle.
The campus has 1.8 million square feet of office space — that's about the size of 31 American football fields.Advertisement
The campus features interfaith prayer rooms, mothers’ room, showers, and quiet rooms.
The campus also has a helipad.Advertisement
Amazon VP John Schoettler says the campus was built with employees with special needs in mind.
Amazon India Country Manager Amit Agarwal calls the campus "a tangible commitment to that long-term thinking and our plans for India."Advertisement
Amazon says it emphasized sustainability in its new building, which has an 850,000-liter water recycling plant and 300 trees on campus.
The Hyderabad campus took 18 million hours to build, according to Amazon.Advertisement
- UTI AMC’s ₹2,160 crore IPO opens today — Here’s all you need to know
- World Heart Day 2020: There has been a 10-20% surge in heart diseases from pre-COVID times in India — Here’s why
- Defence Ministry pegs Pakistan's LoC ceasefire violations at 3,186 so far this year
- PD Vaghela to take over as TRAI chairman from R S Sharma
- Covid-19 tests that give results in minutes to be rolled out across world