American tourist allegedly killed by a remote indigenous tribe on India’s Andaman and Nicobar Islands that had little contact with the outside world
- The local police are reportedly investigating and a case of murder has been registered.
- The Sentinelese are among
India’s protected tribes and the North Sentinel Islandis out of bounds for even Indian authorities.
- The American national was reportedly attacked by arrows and had taken a fishing boat to the island to interact with the tribe.
The Sentinelese tribe, which has a small population of under 50, lives on the North Sentinel Island of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The tribe is one of India’s protected tribes and is said to resist contact with outsiders.
The American national has been identified as 27-year-old John Allen Chau, Reuters reported citing local police officials. The local police are currently investigating and a case of murder had been registered, said the report.
Chau had a strong desire to interact with the Sentinelese and had hired a fishing boat before taking a canoe, said the report.
According to an AFP report which cited sources, Chau was “attacked by arrows but he continued walking."
As a protected island, even the Indian navy isn’t allowed to interact with its inhabitants. Andaman and Nicobar islands is home to several protected tribes that live in.
A spokeswoman for the US consulate in Chennai reportedly said it was aware of the reports about the incident.
Popular on BI
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Nykaa enters into a JV with Dubai-based fashion retailer Apparel Group
- Axis MF launches a Nasdaq 100 focused Fund of Fund
- RBI directs credit information companies to appoint internal ombudsman
- 5G could be India’s next growth engine, and a successful rollout hinges on telcos, govt policies
- Ambani family has been target of threats over the years
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World