An African python dies prematurely after swallowing a 30-pound porcupine, but that's not what killed it
Six days earlier, the snake had swallowed something big, indicated by the giant bulge in its belly.
That's when things took a turn for the worse.Agence France-Presse (AFP). "And when a snake is under stress, it normally regurgitates and brings up its meal so that it can get away."
Normally, regurgitating its meal shouldn't have been a problem for the snake. But this was no ordinary meal. An autopsy of the snake after it died showed that the animal inside was a 30-pound porcupine decked out with thousands of needle-sharp quills.
So, despite its quills, the porcupine shouldn't have been the snake's final, fatal meal. A problem arose when the snake got stressed and tried to regurgitate the porcupine.
The quills seem to have punctured the snake's digestive tract, according to CNN. And these puncture wounds could have led to the snake's death, though Fuller and other experts are not certain this is the primary reason the snake died.
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- World's richest person Bernard Arnault's fortune has increased by more than $33 billion this year
- WhatsApp rolls out ability to create avatars on iOS
- One in four users unaware of crypto cybercrime risks: Cybersecurity firm Kaspersky
- Telegram adds real-time message translation in its new update
- Global smartphone revenue fall by 9% in 2022: Counterpoint Research
- Ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf dies in Dubai: Pak media