An Amazing Look Inside The US Air Force's Headquarters In Europe
Jeremy Bender/Business Insider
Located in southwestern Germany, not far from the Rhine River and the French border, Ramstein not only serves as the headquarters of the US Air Force in Europe and as a NATO installation but also as a gateway to American military operations around the globe.The base is part of a conglomeration of 12 Army and Air Force installations that make up the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC), also known as K-Town. It hosts almost 54,000 Americans across 300 neighboring German towns and cities - turning the Rhineland-Palatinate state of Germany into a tiny slice of America. In fact, it's the largest concentration of Americans outside of the US. But it's also notably multicultural, including personnel from many countries.
Over 2 days in September, Business Insider was given an extensive - and breathtaking - tour of the base and its operations.
- Check out the top 10 batsmen with the highest strike rate in all IPL matches
- Petrol pumps closed in Rajasthan as dealers demand rollback of VAT on fuel
- Google blocks terms associated with hate speech from being used as ad keywords on YouTube
- Mountains, rivers, trout and toddy — Manali offers you all these and more
- E-commerce and digitisation to accelerate India's auto sector growth, says report