India’s Supreme Court dismisses two staff members for trying to protect Anil Ambani from personal appearance
- Yesterday, the Chief Justice of India was forced to dismiss two registrars.
- They were reportedly let go for changing the wording in a document in order to prevent Ambani from making a personal appearance in court.
- The case, which was filed by
Ericsson, involves contempt proceedings against Reliance Communicationsand its promoter Anil Ambanifor the non-payment of a ₹5.5 billion loan.
Yesterday, the Chief Justice of India was forced to dismiss two registrars, Manav Sharma and Tapan Chakaraborty, - whose job it is to upload orders on the SC website - for deliberately changing the wording in a document in order to prevent Ambani from making a personal appearance in court, according to the Telegraph.
The order, which was dated January 7, called for Ambani to submit to questioning in court. However, the order which was uploaded reportedly featured a clause, “personal appearance of the alleged contemnor(s) dispensed with”. The word “not” was omitted to suggest that Ambani wasn’t required to show up.
After representatives of Ericsson pointed out the mistake, the correct version of the order was uploaded a few days later on January 10. A follow-up inquiry reportedly revealed that the omission of the word “not” was deliberate.
Concurrently, the Supreme Court’s verdict in the contempt please case was reserved yesterday. Anil Ambani has made personal appearances for the past two days in front of the bench led by Justice RF Nariman.
Earlier this month, Reliance Communications commenced insolvency proceedings through the
Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio decides that it may be too expensive to give brother Anil Ambani’s RCom a lifeline after all
Anil Ambani’s RComm gets a lifeline from brother Mukesh Ambani’s Jio as first phase of asset sale is completed
Popular on BI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- India’s May manufacturing reading shows quickest expansion rate in 12 years
- Sensex, Nifty50 trade in the green amidst volatility: Coal India, Airtel, Maruti Suzuki amongst top losers
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008