'Ant-Man and the Wasp' scores another opening weekend win for Marvel with $76 million at the box office
- "Ant-Man and the Wasp" wins the weekend box office with an estimated $76 million.
- Also, "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom" is the first non-Disney movie this year to pass the $1 billion worldwide mark.
For Disney/Marvel, it's more of the same this weekend: another release that tops the domestic box office.
The movie landed right on target with its opening weekend industry projection of between $75 million and $85 million.
Director Peyton Reed improved interest in the micro-sized superhero (played by Paul Rudd) through adding The Wasp (Evangeline Lilly) in on the fun and connecting the movie to the dramatics that occurred in "Captain America: Civil War" and "Avengers: Infinity War."
There was also the attraction of a cool, air conditioned, movie theater for those living in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, as the region saw over 100 degree temperatures this weekend. But we have a feeling seeing how the movie relates to "Infinity War" was also a draw.
Elsewhere, Universal's "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom" powered past $1 billion at the worldwide box office. It's the first non-Disney movie to hit the milestone (Disney titles past $1 billion this year: "Black Panther," "Infinity War").
Annapurna's "Sorry to Bother You" had an impressive $44,000 per screen average on 16 screens ($717,000 total) to open its theatrical run.
Universal/Blumhouse released its latest "Purge" movie, "The First Purge," and took in $17 million ($31 million since its opening day on July 4). It's another successful opening for the low budget horror franchise.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns