Anthony Davis gave up a $4 million bonus to help the Lakers and fans on Twitter believe it's part of a grand conspiracy
- Anthony Davis is waiving his $4 million trade kicker, according to ESPN.
- Davis is also keeping the No. 23 as a gift from teammate LeBron James.
- The Los Angeles Lakers will now have $32 million to spend towards free agency and bringing in another star player. They may also decide to divide the sum for several players.
- Fans on Twitter are reacting to the news with conspiracy theories as to why Davis would decide to waive the extra money.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Anthony Davis is waiving his $4 million trade kicker, according to ESPN.According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Lakers were "scrambling to reshape the parameters" of the trade after it was announced due to a lack of cap space.
The trade, which formerly included just the Los Angeles Lakers and the New Orleans Pelicans, now includes a third team in the Washington Wizards. The Lakers will send a 2022 second-round pick to the Wizards and the Wizards will send the Pelicans cash.While the trade has been agreed to, it does not become official until July 6 when the league's transaction embargo is lifted.
As a result, the Lakers will be able to pursue a max contract free agent with $32 million to spend towards completing a Big 3.Read more:The Lakers made 2 huge moves in a matter of hours that set them up perfectly to add another big starAccording to Adrian Wojnarowski, Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks of ESPN, the Lakers are expected to explore several options, including D'Angelo Russell of the Brooklyn Nets and Toronto Raptors star Kawhi Leonard.
The Lakers could also choose to divide the money instead to pursue a combination of players.
Not only did Davis waive an extra $4 million, but he is also keeping his jersey No. 23 - currently worn by LeBron James - as a gift from James.According to reports, Davis and his agent Rich Paul waived the trade bonus as a way to invest in more talent on the court, but fans have different theories.
Some point to Davis' involvement in 'Space Jam 2', which James is an executive producer. Others are saying that Davis may have waived the bonus for James to give up his number.spotted wearing the number on the set of 'Space Jam 2'.
So Anthony Davis will waive his $4.1 million trade kicker to enable the Lakers to sign a max player in free agency and then will be paid $4.1 million for a cameo in Space Jam 2. Duh https://t.co/X2qsPqzvli- Drew Shiller (@DrewShiller) June 20, 2019
"I'll waive the trade kicker if you give me 23 and give me the lead co star In space jam 2"- max (@MaxTBGod) June 27, 2019
-Anthony Davis (probably)
Anthony Davis to LeBron on Space Jam 2 set after declining his $4M trade bonus pic.twitter.com/FBeYoAftjK- John Lage (@JohnLage1) June 27, 2019
LeBron is doing a better job as Lakers president than Magic ever did by convincing Anthony Davis to waive his trade bonus in exchange for #23 and a massive Space Jam 2 payday. pic.twitter.com/42ppiUVlMs- Anthony Riccobono (@Tony_Riccobono) June 27, 2019
Anthony Davis:"Yo Bron, what's it going to take to get that #23 from you"- Vegan Talen Horton-Tucker (@Irv_Do) June 27, 2019
LeBron: "waive that 4 million" pic.twitter.com/WA202F5eCt
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar
- Protesting farmers break barricades at Delhi borders, entering the national capital ahead of time
- BJD chalks out issues for upcoming budget session of Parliament
- Farmer unions now announce plan to march towards Parliament on Budget day