Apple is expected to release its first 5G iPhone next year. Here's everything we've heard about it so far.
- Apple will likely add 5G support to its 2020 flagship iPhones, according to early reports and rumors.
- Other than 5G connectivity, the phones are said to feature a more advanced 3D camera and other benefits that will arrive on the 2019 models.
- The addition of 5G could boost demand for Apple's new iPhones as customers are upgrading their smartphones less often.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Apple hasn't even launched its 2019 iPhones yet, but that hasn't stopped us from speculating about what the company may be planning for next year.
The biggest upgrade coming next year will likely be the introduction of 5G network support. Such an addition could be critical to driving upgrades at a time when smartphone owners are holding onto their devices for longer periods of time and Apple's iPhone revenue has been falling. In its second fiscal quarter for 2019, iPhone revenue came in at $31.1 billion, compared to $37.6 billion the same period one year ago.
But adding 5G to the iPhone could give consumers more incentive to upgrade, according to TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. In a note from April, which was obtained by 9to5Mac, Kuo predicted that Apple would ship between 70 and 75 million flagship iPhones in 2020, compared to his estimates for this fall of 65 to 70 million.
Here's a look at everything we know about the 5G-enabled iPhone Apple is expected to release in 2020.
It will likely include 5G chips from Qualcomm and Samsung.
It may have Apple's Touch ID fingerprint sensor built into its screen.
Next year's iPhone will reportedly have an upgraded 3D camera for augmented reality.
Apple may cut the 5.8-inch size from the 2020 lineup.
We can probably expect it to have all the new features introduced in this year's iPhone too.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- OPEC+ to cut oil output by 2 million bpd from November
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC