Apple just announced 'iPadOS,' a brand-new operating system for the iPad
- Apple on Monday unveiled "iPadOS," a new software ecosystem for the iPad.
- This means the iPad will no longer run on the same software as the iPhone and iPod.
- iPadOS will allow developers to write more apps specifically for the iPad.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
View all Offers
Longies Women's Shorts (Pack of 2)₹ 399₹ 998Buy On
- 81% OFF
Yash Gallery Women's Plus Size Rayon Geometric Print A-Line Kurta (Blue)₹ 819₹ 4299Buy On
- 80% OFF
RIVER Men's Blazer ASHISH N Soni Notch Lapel Regular fit with Full Sleeve (Blue Night, S)₹ 7989₹ 8999Buy On
- 51% OFF
Van Heusen SportMenPurpleLSweatshirt₹ 850₹ 1699Buy On
- 71% OFF
Qube By Fort Collins Men's Fleece Sweatshirt (602Q_Off White_XL)₹ 512₹ 1399Buy On
Apple on Monday unveiled "iPadOS," a new software ecosystem for the iPad.
The news was actually shared just minutes before the event started, on Twitter:
Apple's Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman confirmed the news prior to the start of the WWDC keynote.
Apple's Craig Federighi introduced iPadOS on the WWDC stage. "It takes the distinct experience of iPad even further," Tim Cook said later in the event.
On iPadOS, you can:
- Have widgets appear right on your home screen
- Have two notes, side by side, in split-screen view - or two Microsoft Word documents side by side, or two Mail messages side by side, etc.
- You can also share folders through iCloud Drive for the first time, and share files to specific computers.
- App Expose from the Mac comes over to iPad, so you can see all of the apps in various spaces you have on the iPad.
More about how iPadOS works
- Files are getting a big rework. You can view your files in icons, lists, and now columns, so you can dig through file hierarchies. You also now get file previews and quick actions, like you do on the Mac.
- Gestures have gotten a rework. You can copy entire paragraphs of text by highlighting it with one finger, and pinching with three fingers to copy and paste.
- You can pinch your keyboard with two fingers to make it smaller, which also moves it to the side. This is great for typing with one hand, or just a thumb.
- You can use the Apple Pencil to mark up almost any application. You can even mark up webpages on Safari.
- iPadOS also supports USB thumb drives! External disk drives, SD cards and more will show up right in the Files app. The USB port will also let you import photos directly from your camera.
- Safari on iPads will now give you a full desktop-class experience. This means apps like Google Docs and Squarespace will look like they do on a traditional computer. You can also have tabs like you do on the desktop, and finally, a download manager!
Holy crap it's true and on the dev downloads portal pic.twitter.com/gqPpTDmlOr- Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) June 3, 2019
Confirmed on Apple's website, iOS for iPad becomes iPadOS. About time. https://t.co/w8zghiHYLg- Mark Gurman (@markgurman) June 3, 2019
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Top deals on recliners, sofas and more home furnishing items
- Best fashion and beauty deals during Amazon sale
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale — Best audio deals on headphones, speakers
- GST on salaries? A new ruling can cause a lot of confusion and litigation
- Nykaa's rival Purplle raises $38 million from Pantaloon’s CEO, Sequoia