Apple Pay is growing faster than the internet's favorite payment service, PayPal
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
- Apple's CEO Tim Cook said that Apple Pay is growing faster than PayPal when it comes to adding new users and growing the number of transactions.
- Cook said that Apple Pay is now completing nearly one billion transactions per month, which is more than twice the volume of a year ago.
- Apple Pay has become a popular form of payment in recent years, especially in the US where it is accepted at around 65% of all retailers. It will soon be compatible with several public transit systems, including New York and Chicago.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Apple Pay is growing at a faster rate than PayPal, according to Apple's CEO Tim Cook.In a call with investors on Tuesday, Cook discussed the progress of Apple Pay - Apple's digital wallet that lets people make payments with their iPhone - during its most recent quarterly results.
Cook was likely referencing numbers reported earlier this month in PayPal's second-quarter earnings. PayPal said that it added nine million new members during the second quarter. It also said that engagement per active account increased by 9% to 39 times a year; a spokesperson for PayPal did not confirm what the monthly transaction rates were, however.Cook didn't disclose Apple's equivalent numbers and a spokesperson did not respond to Business Insider's request for further comment. But his remarks indicate that Apple Pay added at least nine million new users during the quarter.Apple Pay has become a popular form of payment in recent years, especially in the US where it is accepted at around 65% of all retailers. By the fall, it will also be compatible with several public transit systems, including New York and Chicago. However, it's also a newer payment system and therefore has more room to grow than its more established rival PayPal.
- Credit Card Industry and Market
- Mobile Payment Technologies
- Mobile Payments Industry
- Mobile Payment Market, Trends and Adoption
- Credit Card Processing Industry
- List of Credit Card Processing Companies
- List of Credit Card Processing Networks
- List of Payment Gateway Providers
- M-Commerce: Mobile Shopping Trends
- E-Commerce Payment Technologies and Trends
- Here’s a tiny washing machine that cleans your TWS earbuds in two minutes
- 106-year-old woman in Madhya Pradesh gets her first COVID-19 vaccine
- Facebook's ad delivery system shows gender bias, says new study
- Check out the top 10 batsmen with the highest strike rate in all IPL matches
- Petrol pumps closed in Rajasthan as dealers demand rollback of VAT on fuel