Apple poached another Tesla engineer, fuelling more speculation about an Apple car
AP Images / J. Scott Applewhite
- Another senior Tesla engineer has just joined Apple.
- Andrew Kim worked on numerous Tesla vehicles including the Model 3, prompting speculation that Apple could be working once again on making cars.
- Apple hired chief Tesla engineer Doug Field back in August.
Apple has poached another senior Tesla engineer, fuelling speculation that it is once again working on a car of its own.Andrew Kim, who made a name for himself at Microsoft working on products like the HoloLens and Xbox One S, was at Tesla for the past two years.Advertisement
But as of December, he has been a designer at Apple, according to his LinkedIn page. An Instagram post from Kim at Apple park from last week also simply says "day 1."
The hire has sparked fresh speculation that Apple could be working on building a car. The Verge notes that Kim worked on the design of several Tesla vehicles, including the Model 3.In August, Apple also re-hired Tesla engineer Doug Field to head up its self-driving car program. Apple reportedly shut down its teams working on car hardware back in 2016, and CEO Tim Cook told Bloomberg in June that the company was focussing on "autonomous systems" for self-driving cars.
CNBC reported in August that Apple was hiring Tesla employees by the dozen, and not just for its self-driving car ambitions.Advertisement
Get the latest Tesla stock price here.
- Manu Sharma, Jessica Lal's murder convict, walks out of jail after 14 years on the grounds of ‘good behaviour’
- Britannia reports 26% jump in its net profit and better margins despite price inflation of raw materials
- Unnamed Albanian player tests positive for virus
- Moody's downgrades ratings of 8 firms, 3 banks
- India’s western coast is hit by fewer cyclones than the eastern coast: Scientific reasons explained