Apple will ship atleast 20 million Apple Watches in 2015
Shipment estimates for the smartwatch, Apple's first wearable gadget that went on sale on Friday, vary widely as it's a relatively new type of consumer product and the market is largely untapped.
But while smartwatch sales are set to be well below those of the blockbuster
Firms in the supply chain estimate Apple will ship 2 million watches per month in the current quarter, said one of the sources. Another source said Apple is planning to ship 26 million watches this year.
"Apple always gives a high target because they believe there's market demand out there," said the person.
The sources declined to be named due to confidentiality agreements with Apple.
Apple declined to comment on its production plan. It has not released any sales numbers since it opened pre-orders on April 10, but many buyers were told their watches would not arrive for a month or more as supply appeared to dry up.
On Wednesday, Apple notified some buyers that they would not have to wait so long after all.
"Our team is working to fill orders as quickly as possible based on the available supply and the order in which they were received," Apple said in a statement.
Analyst forecasts of
AdvertisementCompared to the iPhone, which sold 74.5 million units in the fourth quarter alone, initial estimated sales of the watch are low. A Reuters poll put the number at about 15 million units in the
"Even if the product doesn't sell well this year, Apple won't give up on it," said Kylie Huang, an analyst at Daiwa Capital Markets in
- Macrotech Developers IPO — check share allotment date, listing date and more
- Throwback to some of the best IPL ads made over the years
- Infosys, Wipro, HDFC Bank and other stocks to watch out for on April 15
- India's largest opposition party blames national media for its lack of influence — but its new YouTube channel may only be targeting the Hindi belt
- Kellogg expands its portfolio by launching more Indianised products