Apple's latest iPhones support a new WiFi standard that's faster and better - but you don't need to rush and buy a new router
- The new Apple iPhone 11 phones support the new standard of WiFi, simply called "WiFi 6."
- WiFi 6 supports faster speeds, and could even increase the battery life of the iPhone 11.
- As great as it sounds, WiFi 6 shouldn't matter too much with your home WiFi connection, unless you have gigabit-per-second internet speeds. The average internet speeds in the US was nearing 100 megabits-per-second in 2018, so it's safe to say a lot of Americans don't really need WiFi 6 routers at home.
- WiFi 6 will make the greatest difference in crowded places like offices where older WiFi network generations can get congested.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The new Apple iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max all support the new standard in WiFi, called "WiFi 6."
WiFi 6 is also technically known as "802.11ax," but we're happy to simply call it WiFi 6, the name given to it by the WiFi Alliance. That way, it's clearer that WiFi 6 is the sixth-generation WiFi standard.Like any new generation of anything, WiFi 6 is designed to deliver better performance while addressing some of the issues from a previous generation, called "AC."
You should also keep in mind that WiFi 6 on the iPhone 11 will only work if it's connected to a router that supports WiFi 6. For many, that would mean buying a whole new router, but it might not be an absolute necessity at home.
Check out how WiFi 6 on the new iPhones could make your WiFi experience better: