Apple's latest iPhones support a new WiFi standard that's faster and better - but you don't need to rush and buy a new router
Crystal Cox/Business Insider
- The new Apple iPhone 11 phones support the new standard of WiFi, simply called "WiFi 6."
- WiFi 6 supports faster speeds, and could even increase the battery life of the iPhone 11.
- As great as it sounds, WiFi 6 shouldn't matter too much with your home WiFi connection, unless you have gigabit-per-second internet speeds. The average internet speeds in the US was nearing 100 megabits-per-second in 2018, so it's safe to say a lot of Americans don't really need WiFi 6 routers at home.
- WiFi 6 will make the greatest difference in crowded places like offices where older WiFi network generations can get congested.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The new Apple iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max all support the new standard in WiFi, called "WiFi 6."WiFi 6 is also technically known as "802.11ax," but we're happy to simply call it WiFi 6, the name given to it by the WiFi Alliance. That way, it's clearer that WiFi 6 is the sixth-generation WiFi standard.Advertisement
Like any new generation of anything, WiFi 6 is designed to deliver better performance while addressing some of the issues from a previous generation, called "AC."
You should also keep in mind that WiFi 6 on the iPhone 11 will only work if it's connected to a router that supports WiFi 6. For many, that would mean buying a whole new router, but it might not be an absolute necessity at home.Check out how WiFi 6 on the new iPhones could make your WiFi experience better:
WiFi speeds on both the "2.4GHz" and "5GHz" bands will be faster, but it shouldn't make a huge difference unless you have a very speedy internet plan.
WiFi 6 is meant to improve WiFi speeds and performance in crowded places, like an office.Advertisement
WiFi 6 could actually improve the battery life on the iPhone 11 phones.
Unless you have an insanely fast internet plan at home, you might not have to rush and buy a WiFi 6 router. Even then, your current router and "WiFi 5" should be fine for whatever you do on the iPhone 11.Advertisement
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded – analysts suggest a bull run could be in the offing
- India’s largest packaging company Uflex partners with IIT-Delhi to develop PPE kits—shares soar 9%
- 100 online courses from Coursera are $0 now through May 31 - here's a list of all the classes open for free enrollment
- 195 healthcare workers at AIIMS tested positive for COVID-19 so far
- Suryoday Small Finance Bank raises Rs 62 cr