Bad news for Dennis Gartman ...
Well, bad news, Dennis: crude oil just broke above $44 per barrel.West Texas Intermediate crude futures in New York rallied 3% on Wednesday to as high as $44.24 per barrel.
In October 2014, Gartman said we were witnessing the end of an era for crude oil.And in the CNBC interview in January, Gartman said he did not think the correlation between crude oil and stocks would last very long.
None of these calls is working out that well so far.Oil prices have whipsawed in the last few weeks, as various headlines about a possible production-freeze deal bounced around.The producers' meeting in Doha on Sunday ended without a deal, and that sent oil lower.
But prices have reversed course since Monday's initial drop. One of the catalysts analysts have pointed to is the three-day strike by oil workers in Kuwait, which ended Wednesday.
Here's a chart:
- Apple iPhone 13’s A15 Bionic won’t be based on 3nm process, confirms TSMC
- The utter chaos and confusion over Remdesivir in India is making the COVID-19 second wave worse
- Atlassian, the maker of Jira and Trello, is looking to hire 300 engineers in India this year
- Night curfew hours extended in UP's Lucknow, Prayagraj, Varanasi, Kanpur City, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Ghaziabad, Meerut, Gorakhpur, Shravasti and Moradabad districts
- Around 1,700 people test positive for COVID-19 in Hardiwar Kumbh Mela from April 10-14