Baker Mayfield says he reached out to Daniel Jones to 'clear the air' because he felt his comments about the Giants rookie quarterback were misconstrued
Zach Bolinger/Getty Images
Zach Bolinger/Getty Images
- In a recent article, Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield expressed shock that the New York Giants took quarterback Daniel Jones with the sixth overall pick in the 2019 draft.
- On Wednesday, Mayfield told reporters that he reached out to Jones to "clear the air."
- Mayfield felt his comments were misconstrued and that they reflected poorly on his character.
- Jones on Tuesday did not offer much of a response, only saying that he liked watching Mayfield play.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield told reporters that he reached out to New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones to "clear the air."In a profile in GQ Magazine, Mayfield said teams overthink finding good QBs, and it "blows my mind" that the Giants took Jones with the sixth pick of the 2019 draft. Jones was a Duke quarterback without a lengthy college football resumé.Advertisement
Read more: Browns' Baker Mayfield was shocked the New York Giants drafted Daniel Jones: 'Blows my mind'
On Wednesday, Mayfield explained that he thought his comments were misconstrued and reflected negatively on him."It had nothing to do specifically about Daniel," Mayfield said (via Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot). "I reached out to Daniel because all of that blew way out of hand, and I wanted him to know how I felt. I've heard nothing but great things from Saquon [Barkley] and Sterling Shepard, guys who have nothing but respect for him, and I respect their opinions. I just wanted to clear the air with him."
Jones was asked about Mayfield's quotes in the GQ piece on Tuesday and only responded that he thinks Mayfield is talented and likes watching him play.
Unfortunately, for the NFL world, the Giants and Browns do not play each other this year.
- Read more:
- Odell Beckham Jr. calls trade to Browns 'personal,' saying the Giants 'thought they'd send me here to die'
- The NFL world is starting to panic about Jimmy Garoppolo after a disastrous outing in his first game in 11 months
- Tom Brady says he's working on the left-handed and no-look passes that Patrick Mahomes used to wow the NFL world
- FANTASY FOOTBALL RANKINGS: Here's the expert consensus on the top 50 players
- Bird poop worth $470 million is at risk — could hold the key to saving seabirds across the world
- COVID crashed profit and Pidilite couldn’t fix it— yet
- There are five companies making Favipiravir now — and it is good for supply and prices
- Best 5,000mAh battery smartphones
- India's COVID-19 recovery rate rises to 67.62% and case fatality rate drops to 2.07%