Barclays says 3,000 jobs have been culled so far this year
- Barclays beat second-quarter earnings expectations on Thursday, with a spokesman confirming to Business Insider that 3,000 roles had been eliminated this year.
- This comes after a wave of management changes, with high profile step downs.
- View Markets Insider for more stories.
Barclays has culled about 3,000 jobs had been culled this year, in a variety of different parts of the business, a spokesman confirmed to Business Insider on Thursday.
A spokesman for Barclays said: "There has been a reduction in roles, and that includes 3,000 people who have left their roles in the first half of this year. Most of these were redundancies but also people leaving their roles and not being replaced."He said it was part of an "efficiency drive," however, it does mean that compared to the 83,500 people who worked at Barclays at the start of the year, 3.6% of the total workforce had left.
"The bank did add a number of caveats with respect to its guidance, particularly around Brexit, trade and the problems in the euro area, which it said could materially affect its outlook," Hewson said.The spokesman added that Barclays had hired new staff in 2019, so the net figure would be less than the 3,000 lost, but declined to elaborate.Lately, Barclays has seen a high number of managers and executives leave, including Richard Taylor, former Chairman of Global Corporate and Investment Banking, who left the firm, according to a memo dated July 26, and seen by Business Insider.
Earlier in 2019, investment-banking head Tim Throsby stepped down, leading to a slew of other departures of senior executives.
- YES Bank launches a new musical logo to build a deeper connect with customers
- COVID-19: Students should leave hostels in Bengaluru if their institutions declare a holiday, says BBMP
- Non-banking finance firm Power Finance Corporation records 49% jump in net profits in FY21
- The Internet's original source code is going up for auction on Sotheby's as an NFT this month
- Best 55-inch smart TVs with 4K resolution