Bihar and Assam floods have killed 166 so far — and it is expected to get worse in the next two days
- Heavy flooding in
Biharand Assam have taken 166 lives till and affected over 111 million people.
- The death toll in Assam rose to 64 and 102 in Bihar as of 21 July 2019.
- The weather department has warned of heavy rainfall in the coming two days that may add more misery to the situation.
Uncertain weather conditions and heavy flooding in Bihar and Assam have taken 166 lives till and affected over 111 million people. As many as 7.2 million people are affected in Bihar along. Whereas 3.8 million people were affected in Assam.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
The weather department has warned of heavy rainfall in the coming two days that may add more misery to the situation. The death toll in Assam rose to 64 and 102 in Bihar as of 21 July 2019.
AdvertisementAccording to water resource department, Half a dozen districts of flood-hit north Bihar are likely to receive 90 mm to 135 mm of rainfall in the next 24 hours.
"It will certainly increase the water level in rivers and flood situation will worsen,'' a weather official told IANS.
Heavy rains are expected to affect parts of Madhubani,
MSME EXCHANGE 2021Join us in amplifying the voice of over 60 million MSMEs in IndiaJune 28 - 29, 05:00 PM onwards
The situation is much similar is the northeastern state of Assam. The flood water continued to affect 2,669 villages, 1.35 lakh hectare of crop lands and over a million
The disaster management department is working aggressively on a rescue operation in both the states.
AdvertisementMore than one hundred thousand people have been displaced, with over 114,000 taking shelter in 133 relief camps of which 127 have been set up in Sitamarhi, one of the worst flood-hit districts in the state.
In Assam, over 1,15,389 people are still in 829 relief camps.
Hundreds of villages have been inundated, forcing people to leave their homes and seek shelter at safer places.
- Germany adopts $9.6 billion climate protection programme to achieve new climate targets, says Finance Minister
- China's migrating elephant herd travels further south in Eshan county, say authorities
- Iran condemns US' seizure of website domains as an 'attempt to undermine global freedom of expression'
- North Korea rules out 'possibility of any contact' with US, according to media report
- Lessons brands can learn from the winners of Kantar's Creative Effectiveness Awards