Bill and Melinda Gates are launching a lobbying group
Peter Macdiarmid / Getty Images
- On Thursday, Bill and Melinda Gates announced a new lobbying initiative called the Gates Policy Initiative, The Hill reported.
- The Gates Policy Initiative is independent from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, their philanthropic organization, and it plans to focus on lobbying efforts, rather than political giving.
- The Gates Policy Initiative will focus on global health, global development, moving people from poverty to employment, and education for black, Latino, and rural students.
- Read more on the Business Insider homepage.
Rob Nabors, director of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the former White House director of Legislative Affairs during the Obama administration, told The Hill that the Gates Policy Initiative will work in a bipartisan way.
He also said it will avoid political giving or statements that support political candidates. Instead, it will focus on lobbying efforts and legislative outcomes.Read more: I spent an uplifting day at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and discovered what it's really like to work there
Although the Gates Policy Initiative is independent from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, it focuses on some of the same issues. Currently, the Foundation is tackling issues such as reducing the impact of infectious diseases in developing countries, improving the delivery of health products and services, improving high school education, and more.
- Odisha man arrested for manufacturing fake Covid-19 vaccine
- J&J Covid vaccine produces strong immune response in early trials
- PM Modi at UNGA: 'How long will India be kept out of decision-making structures of UN'
- China says WHO gave support for Covid vaccine emergency use
- WHO warns death toll may hit 2mn even with vaccine