Bill Gates explains 'the big milestone' in technology he wants to see in his lifetime
But in a Reddit AMA (ask me anything) session, Microsoft cofounder and richest man in the world Bill Gates replied to a question about the advancement he most wants to see in his lifetime by indicating that AI can go further still.
"The big milestone is when computers can read and understand information like humans do. There is a lot of work going on in this field - Google, Microsoft, Facebook, academia," writes Gates. "Right now computers don't know how to represent knowledge so they can't read a text book [sic] and pass a test."
While Microsoft itself has built technology that's actually better than a human stenographer at transcribing a natural conversation, it's a lot harder for the machine to parse what's said and take the appropriate action. It's the kind of limit to understanding that owners of the Amazon Echo or Google Home live with every day.
So while the big tech companies are working on ways for computers to glean the correct action from what they're told, Gates is looking forward to the next step after that. Notably, Gates has expressed a lot of interest in the study of education and learning, for humans as well as for machines.
Meanwhile, the Reddit jokesters are out in force: User "PikachuSquarepants" replied to Gates' assertion that a computer couldn't pass the test with "[today I learned] I'm a computer."
Otherwise, Gates says that he's looking forward to more developments in health and vaccine science.
"We need a vaccine for HIV, Malaria and TB and I hope we have them in the next 10-15 years," Gates writes.
- Neobanking platform Vance raises $5.8 million in seed round led by Hummingbird Ventures
- Natural gas price increase negative for GAIL, IGL, marginal beneficiary is RIL: Jefferies
- Auto sales remain buoyant in September with reports of a good festive season ahead
- IAF scrambles fighter jets after bomb scare on Iranian civilian plane in Indian airspace
- Delhi reports over 400 cases of dengue in a week, taking the tally to 937
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World