'Black Panther' earns $108 million at the box office in its 2nd weekend - the 2nd-best performance ever
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
- "Black Panther" took in an estimated $108 million at the box office its second weekend in theaters.
- That's the second-best performance for a movie ever in its second weekend.
- It's also only the fourth movie ever to have a $100 million second weekend.
"Black Panther" has no signs of slowing down at the domestic box office.
The Disney/Marvel Studios hit scored an estimated $108 million this weekend, according to boxofficepro, making it the second-best performance ever (passing "Jurassic World," $106.5 million) for a movie's second weekend in theaters. Its domestic total is now $400 million.
This marks only the fourth movie ever to score a $100 million second weekend, joining "The Avengers," "Jurassic World," and "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." All three of those movies would go to earn lifetime box office returns of over $650 million domestically and over $1 billion worldwide (over $2 billion in the case of "The Force Awakens").
After taking the crown last weekend for best opening weekend ever for the month of February ($202 million) and best Presidents' Day weekend ever ($242 million), Ryan Coogler's "Black Panther" showed it wasn't going to be one of those movies that has a dramatic drop in sales its second weekend in theaters.
The movie took in an impressive $28.8 million on Friday and an incredible $47.6 million on Saturday. That proves that there's still a big audience for the movie and that folks are returning to theaters to see the movie multiple times.
"Black Panther" also didn't have much competition to worry about this weekend.
The comedy "Game Night," starring Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams, came in second place with $16.6 million (on a $37 million budget). The sci-fi thriller "Annihilation," starring Natalie Portman, only earned around $11 million.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Adani Group repays loans worth $2.65 bn to complete prepayment programme
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the red amid volatility: Adani group, SBI Cards, Indigo among stocks to watch
- Henkel doubles down on India as hair care market at an inflection point – to evaluate laundry segment later
- IKIO Lighting IPO opens today: 10 things to know before you subscribe
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023