Boeing patented a jet engine powered by lasers and nuclear explosions
With airplane makers constantly on the lookout for new and more efficient ways to power their products, this laser engine is the latest idea cooked up by the engineers at Boeing.
Modern airliners such as the Boeing Dreamliner are powered by multiple turbofan engines. These engines deploy a series of fans and turbines to compress air and ignite fuel to produce thrust.
Boeing's patented engine provides thrust in a very different and rather novel manner. According to the patent filing, the laser engine may also be used to power rockets, missiles, and even spacecraft.
As of now, the engine lives only in patent documents. The technology is so out-there that it is unclear whether anyone will ever build it.
Here's a look at the inner workings of Boeing's futuristic engine with the help of some illustrations from PatentYogi.
- RBI extends deadline to exchange, deposit Rs 2,000 notes till Oct 7
- Explained: TCS on your child's overseas education and mitigating strategies
- From Pixel 8 to Galaxy S23 FE – smartphones launching in October 2023
- World Cup 2023 final squads – Ind, Aus, Eng and all the other teams
- Eating your way to clear vision: 10 foods for healthy eyes