Boris Johnson called 'rude' after putting his foot up on a table in the Elysee Palace during his meeting with President Macron
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson pictured putting his foot up on a table in the Élysée Palace during a meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron.
- Social media users label Johnson "rude," "entitled" and "embarrassing."
- The picture followed a meeting between the two leaders in which they discussed the UK's exit from the EU.
- Macron dismissed Johnson's demand for a fundamental renegotiation of Britain's Brexit deal.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
Boris Johnson has been labeled "rude" and "embarrassing" after being pictured putting his foot up on a table in the Élysée Palace during a meeting with the French President Emmanuel Macron.The picture followed a meeting between the two leaders on Thursday during which Macron ruled out a fundamental renegotiation of Britain's Brexit deal.Advertisement
Johnson's biographer Sonia Purnell was among the social media users criticising Johnson's posture in the picture.
"Rude and embarrassing. Imagine if Macron put his foot on the table at Buckingham Palace," Purnell tweeted.Read more: Boris Johnson wants Ireland to leave EU trade rules and form a new union with the UK instead after Brexit
The Sun Newspaper's Political Editor Tom Newton Dunn also responded to Johnson's "manspreading," adding "That should win Manu round."Other social media users labeled Johnson's behaviour as "entitled" and "unbelievable".Advertisement
However, Brexit campaigner Darren Grimes suggested the photo was a sign of Johnson's strength in talks with the EU.
Our Brexit Insider Facebook group is the best place for up-to-date news and analysis about Britain's departure from the EU, direct from Business Insider's political reporters. Join here.
Rude and embarrassing. Imagine if Macron put his foot on the table at Buckingham Palace https://t.co/tv67iA5rpM- Sonia Purnell (@soniapurnell) August 22, 2019
très diplomatique- Matthew Champion (@matthewchampion) August 22, 2019
(pic Christophe Petit Tesson/AFP/Getty Images) pic.twitter.com/qOQVbD72Pg
There's not a diplomatic bone in Boris Johnson's body. Entitled, scruffy and rude. Imagine the reaction of the UK's right-wing press if King Slaman of Saudi Arabia was pictured with his feet up on a table at Buckingham Palace. pic.twitter.com/CwbI479orJ- Michael (@Michael_Dunn4) August 22, 2019
- Two foreigners held for drug peddling
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart
- 30 COVID vaccine candidates being developed: Health Ministry