Boris Johnson insisted that 'Islam is the problem' and Islamophobia is a 'natural reaction'
- Boris Johnson has been reported to the Equalities Commission after comparing Muslim women to "letter boxes" and bank robbers and suggesting they should be denied service.
- It is not the first time he has made controversial comments about Islam. In 2005 the former Foreign Secretary wrote that Islamophobia was a "natural reaction" to Islam.
- He wrote in the Spectator in 2005 that "the problem is Islam. Islam is the problem."
- A spokesperson for prime minister Theresa May declined to criticise Johnson's comments.
LONDON - Boris Johnson was today reported to the Equalities Commission after comparing Muslim women who wear burqas to "letter boxes" and bank robbers.
View all Offers
Dettol Original Germ Protection Bathing Soap bar, 125 gm, Buy 4 Get 1 Free₹ 220Buy On
Dettol Original Germ Protection Liquid Handwash Refill, 1500ml (Price Off)₹ 208Buy On
Mamaearth Onion Hair Fall Shampoo for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control, with Onion Oil & Plant Keratin 250ml₹ 349Buy On
- 11% OFF
Parachute jumbo pack 100% pure coconut oil 600 ml (bottle )₹ 223₹ 250Buy On
Mamaearth Onion Oil for Hair Growth & Hair Fall Control with Redensyl 150ml₹ 399Buy On
Islamophobia is 'a natural reaction'
In 2005, Johnson wrote in the Spectator that he believed it was only "natural" for the public to be scared of Islam."To any non-Muslim reader of the Koran, Islamophobia - fear of Islam - seems a natural reaction, and, indeed, exactly what that text is intended to provoke," he wrote.
"Judged purely on its scripture - to say nothing of what is preached in the mosques - it is the most viciously sectarian of all religions in its heartlessness towards unbelievers."
'Islam is the problem'
"It will take a huge effort of courage and skill to win round the many thousands of British Muslims who are in a similar state of alienation, and to make them see that their faith must be compatible with British values and with loyalty to Britain," he wrote.
"That means disposing of the first taboo, and accepting that the problem is Islam. Islam is the problem."He added: "What is going on in these mosques and madrasas? When is someone going to get 18th century on Islam's medieval ass?"
Islamophobia goes 'right up to the top' of the Conservative party.
Former Conservative co-chair Baroness Warsi told Business Insider earlier this year that Islamophobia goes "right up to the top" of the Conservative party."It's very widespread [in the Conservative party]. It exists right from the grassroots, all the way up to the top," she told BI.
However, the Conservative leadership has so far resisted calls for an inquiry into Islamophobia in the party. A spokesperson for Theresa May on Monday declined to criticise Johnson for his comments.Our Brexit Insider Facebook group is the best place for up-to-date news and analysis about Britain's departure from the EU, direct from Business Insider's political reporters. Join here.
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on laptops
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on Echo, Kindle, Fire TV
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on luggage bags
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on bags for women
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on artificial jewellery