August auto sales a mixed bag —Maruti records 17% jump, Escorts, M&M post strong tractor sales, while CV players continue to feel the pain
- The Indian automobile sector is now showing signs of improvement.
- After 6 months of slowdown, India’s largest car manufacturer Maruti Suzuki registered 17% growth in overall sales led by a 20% jump in domestic sales.
- The shares of Escorts Motors jumped 5% on back of record sales in August. The tractor manufacturer recorded 80% growth in total sales led by a 9% increase in exports.
- Check out the latest news and updates on Business Insider.
AdvertisementThe Indian automobile manufactures are seeing signs of a turnaround from the lockdown woes, with sales picture improving amidst positive signs of recovery. The demand normalisation is due to various reasons ranging from — the gradual resumption of the supply chain to strong sentiments in rural and semi-urban markets and rise in preference for personal mobility to the start of the festive season.
Here’s August monthly auto sales number from Maruti Suzuki, M&M, Escorts, Hero MotoCorp, TVS, Bajaj Auto and others:
After 6 months of slowdown, India’s largest car manufacturer Maruti Suzuki registered 17% growth in overall sales led by a 20% jump in domestic sales. However, the export market continues to remain under pressure.
|Maruti Suzuki India||August 2020 sales||August 2019 sales||Growth %|
The shares of Escorts Motors also jumped 5% on back of record sales in August. The tractor manufacturer recorded 80% growth in total sales led by a 9% increase in exports.
|Escorts||August 2020 sales||August 2019 sales||Growth %|
Mahindra and Mahindra (M&M) registered 16% de-growth in sales in the month of August despite a positive growth in passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles. The overall sales was dragged down by a whopping drop of 94% in the three-wheeler segment. However, the farm equipment segment of M&M remains the bright spot, recording a 65% growth in the month of August.
|Mahindra & Mahindra||August 2020 sales||August 2019 sales||Growth %|
Eicher Motors over all sales plunged 30% with domestic sales taking a massive hit.
|Eicher Motors||August 2020 sales (expected)||August 2019 sales||Growth %|
Ashok Leyland also reported a 52% drop in M&HCV sales. The company recorded a 36% drop in track sales, while bus sales were down 93% compared to the same period last year.
|Ashok Leyland||August 2020 sales||August 2019 sales||Growth %|
The period remained grim for the commercial vehicle as it remains the worst affected segment due to economic slowdown. Along with that, people are still reluctant to use public transport, and the rise in personal mobility can further damage the segment.
Tata Motors also recorded 21.6% growth in overall domestic sales led by 154% growth in the passenger vehicle segment. Meanwhile the domestic commercial vehicles segment saw a decline of 28%.
|Total Domestic Sales||35420||29140||21.60%|
SEE ALSO: In Unlock 4.0, Maharashtra government allow hotels to reopen, eases travel curbs, but schools and colleges remain shut
Top stocks to watch— L&T, Biocon, M&M, PNB, Tata Power, Bharat Earth Movers and others
Popular on BI
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- DOJ officials were alarmed by surveillance footage of the Mar-a-Lago room where classified info was being stored, report says
- Meet Judge Bruce Reinhart the magistrate who approved the FBI search warrant into Trump's Mar-a-Lago home receiving threats from MAGA supporters
- Akshay Kumar-led 'Cuttputlli' sets September 2 premiere on Disney+ Hotstar
- Best anti-dandruff shampoos to buy in India
- India’s first electric double-decker bus launched in Mumbai; to Foster Sustainability in Transport Sector
- Sensex climbs 113 points in early trade, amid mixed global trends
- BSE market cap touches ₹280 lakh crore after a steep 18% rally in the last two months