Maruti Suzuki to launch its first electric car in 2025, several models expected in coming years
Maruti Suzukiwill launch its first electric car in Indiain 2025. Tata Motorscurrently leads the electric passenger vehicle segment in the country.
- Maruti has been working on its electric vehicle for over a year now.
AdvertisementMaruti Suzuki, the largest carmaker in India is looking to introduce multiple electric vehicles in the country to catch up with its rivals such as Tata Motors. The company currently does not offer any electric vehicles in the country.
Maruti Suzuki’s new managing director and chief executive officer Hisashi Takeuchi during an interaction revealed that the company’s first electric vehicle (EV) will be released in 2025.
Takeuchi added that the company’s first EV will be rolled out from its Gujrat plant and other factories will start producing EVs once the demand in the country increases.
“We are a little behind our competitors in introducing the (EV) model to the Indian market, but we see that still, the market demand for those EVs is limited. Actually, sales of EVs in the Indian market are still very, very limited.” Takeuchi said.
The company has been testing EVs using its existing platforms. As per Takeuchi, the company has replaced the internals of several cars, adding batteries and the motor to test the EVs in the Indian environment. The tests were reportedly started over a year ago.
“We have been doing this test for more than a year with multiple cars in the Indian environment so that we are sure that our EV technology will be good in the environment, which is very, very tough in India,” Takeuchi added.
Tata Motors is the current leader in India
Currently, Tata Motors is leading the passenger electric vehicle segment in India. According to data from the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), Tata Motors accounts for over 85% of sales in the electric car segment. MG Motors with a share of 11.49% is a distant second and the remainder is occupied by other companies such as Mahindra.
Electric two-wheeler sales surge over 5 times – Hero Electric, Okinawa corner half the market, Ather’s market share declines
Kia shows off the 2023 Niro EV – here’s our first look at the upcoming electric car
Okinawa dealership burns down after another electric scooter catches fire, company recalls over 3,200 Praise Pro scooters
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- Cristiano Ronaldo is now causing trouble for Portugal at the World Cup after his dramatic Manchester United exit
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Uniparts India IPO: Here’s how you can check the allotment status
- Best sofa set under ₹15000
- Best washing machine under ₹15000
- Only half of Indian listed companies set net carbon emissions commitments: WTW
- Indian beauty brand RENÉE Cosmetics raises $25 million in Series B funding led by Evolvence India, Edelweiss Group