Flipkart and Amazon are selling more but losing even more
- Flipkart Internet, which handles the e-commerce arm of the company, saw a 40% rise in losses adding up to ₹1,624 crore.
- Amazon India’s e-commerce vertical – Amazon Seller Services saw a 9.5% decrease in losses to ₹5,685 crore.
- Amazon Pay saw its losses grow by 24.7%.
AdvertisementThe e-commerce giants in India – Flipkart and Amazon, have both posted massive losses for the financial year ending March 2019.
The report card
Flipkart Internet, which handles the e-commerce arm of the company, saw its losses widen by 40% to ₹1,624 crore. However, its operating revenues grew by 51% to ₹4,234 crore.
That’s not all, Flipkart’s net loss also expanded by a whopping 86% to ₹3,837 crore.
Meanwhile, Amazon India’s e-commerce vertical – Amazon Seller Services saw a dip in its losses which came in lower by 9.5% dip at ₹5,685 crore. Amazon’s revenues also grew by 55% to ₹7,778 crore. Its total losses in India crossed the ₹7,000 crore mark.
Another blow to Amazon came with its payment arm – Amazon Pay which too posted record losses. It posted a to ₹1,160.8 crore loss which was 24.7% more than its previous fiscal’s loss.
Continued investment, despite losses
Amazon and Flipkart put together hold about 80% of India’s e-commerce share. So, even with the losses mounting, the two companies continue to fight it out in the market with sales and discounts.
In the run up to the festive season, Amazon hit 344 million visits, Flipkart and Myntra combined had 314 million visits in September. Amazon and Flipkart individually had over twice the number of visits than that of Snapdeal, Club Factory, Shopclues, Tata Cliq and Paytm Mall combined.
Popular on BI
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala