Flipkart and Tiger Global have a billion dollar notice to respond to in the next 90 days
- India’s financial investigation agency has been investigating Amazon and
Flipkartover the years.
- The Enforcement Directorate issued a show-cause notice to both the companies and its founders last month.
- Flipkart raised a $3.6 billion round at a valuation of $37.6 billion, a two-fold increase from 2018.
According to a Reuters report citing sources it did not name, the financial investigation agency has alleged that after Flipkart got foreign investment, a related party,
ED has issued show-cause notice to both the companies and its founders last month to explain why they shouldn’t face a penalty of $1.35 billion for allegedly violating India’s foreign direct investment (FDI) policy. Tiger Global, which has been an investor in Flipkart for a decade has also been issued such a notice.
AdvertisementTiger Global declined to comment on the issue.
A Flipkart spokesperson told Reuters, the company is "in compliance with Indian laws and regulations…We will cooperate with the authorities as they look at this issue pertaining to the period 2009-2015 as per their notice."
One of the sources at Flipkart told Reuters that they have around 90 days to respond to the notice and WS Retail had ceased its operations at the end of 2015.
Flipkart was acquired by
Last month, the company raised a $3.6 billion round led by Singapore-based GIC, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPP investments), Softbank Vision Fund 2 and Walmart.
DisruptAD, Qatar Investment Authority, Khazanah Nasional Berhad, Tencent, Willoughby Capital, Antara Capital, Franklin Templeton and Tiger Global also participated in the round.
AdvertisementWhiteHat Jr’s CEO Karan Bajaj quits exactly a year after Byju’s acquired the company
INTERVIEW: MoEngage, which helps companies like Domino's engage with customers, wants an office in New York and 150 techies in India
Tiger Global pumps enough money to make BharatPe a unicorn about a month after it got a banking licence with Centrum as its partner
Popular on BI
- GST Council meet: No new tax on food delivery apps Swiggy, Zomato
- SBI, Kotak Mahindra and others cut home loan rates ahead of festive season
- Virat Kohli's T20I journey as captain is better than Dhoni's
- Gen Z decoded: MTV's latest report reflects Gen Z’s behavior patterns,mindsets, habits and perceptions
- From ecommerce to payments — here are the top funded business models of last one year