10 cruise ships that are still at sea as the coronavirus shuts down the cruise industry
James D. Morgan/Getty Images
- Earlier this month, much of the cruise industry canceled all cruises until mid-April at the earliest.
- But some ships are still at sea.
- Many of those ships have not experienced coronavirus outbreaks, but there is at least one major exception.
- Do you work in the cruise industry? Do you have an opinion on how your company or the industry as a whole has handled the coronavirus? Email this reporter at email@example.com.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The novel coronavirus has put much of the cruise industry on hold after many cruise lines announced earlier this month that they would cancel most cruises until mid-April at the earliest. But some ships will remain at sea in the coming days and weeks as they finish their itineraries.Many of those ships have avoided the coronavirus outbreaks experienced by the Diamond Princess, Grand Princess, and Costa Luminosa, though at least one, Holland America Line's MS Zaandam, has seen dozens of passengers get sick.Advertisement
A representative for the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), a trade association for the cruise industry, said 3.6% of the 277 ships operated by its member cruise lines had not yet completed their itineraries, as of Monday. Nine of the 10 ships on this list are owned by CLIA-member cruise lines (the Columbus is the sole exception), but the CLIA representative did not specify if there were any ships not mentioned in this story that are still at sea.
These 10 cruise ships are still at sea as the industry deals with the fallout from the coronavirus.Do you work in the cruise industry? Do you have an opinion on how your company or the industry as a whole has handled the coronavirus? Email this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email email@example.com and tell us your story.
And get the latest coronavirus analysis and research from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is impacting businesses.
Queen Mary 2Advertisement
- COVID-19: Goa to curtail monsoon Assembly session to one day
- PM Modi addresses Indian Army on India-China border — ‘The enemies of India have seen your fire and fury’
- Steps taken for safe disposal of COVID-19 victims' bodies: BMC
- Kejriwal hands over Rs 1 cr cheque to family of LNJP doctor who died battling COVID-19
- Study reveals why early marriage unsafe for young adults